* 350g (12 oz) clams in shell, scrubbed
* 675g (1 1/2 lb) fresh chouriço, roughly chopped
* 1 large onion, cut into thin wedges
* 1 (400g) tin chopped tomatoes
* 450ml (16 fl oz) white wine
* 4 tablespoons olive oil
1. Wash clams well in a sink of cold water. Discard any clams that are already opened.
2. In a large stockpot with a tight-fitting lid, place the cleaned clams. Add the sausage, onion, tomatoes and wine. Cover and set over high heat. Steam until all the clams open up. Be sure to shake the pan often to insure even heat.
3. Drizzle olive oil over the cooked clams. Evenly divide all the ingredients into warm soup bowls. Divide the stock into side bowls for dipping.
Chouriço is simply the Portuguese chorizo. If you can’t find chouriço from Portugal for this dish, the more ubiquitous Spanish chorizo will do just fine.