Friday, 29 May 2009

Creamy Chicken fajitas with a Portuguese Twist



I like chicken fajitas, but I like them my way, with a Portuguese touch.



I marinade the chicken overnight in Piri Piri and that gives it the extra spiciness and beautiful smoky flavour! When you bite into the chicken pieces, rather than just spiciness, you can really taste all the paprika and smoky flavours.

So this is what we had for lunch:Ingredients:

4 chicken breasts
1 large onion
1 crushed garlic
1 medium red bell pepper
1 medium yellow bell pepper
1 medium green bell pepper
5 small mushrooms
1 jar of fajita sauce-of your choice or homemade (I didn't have time)

For the marinade
1 1/2 tea spoon of piri piri powder
1 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1 small green chilli
1 tsp of olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 crushed garlic
salt
pepper

Mix all the marinade ingredients and coat the chicken strips really well.
Marinade for at least four hours or overnight if possible.


In a large skillet fry the chicken in a tablespoon of olive oil.
Remove the chicken and in the same oil (now spiced up by the marinade) fry the onions until translucent.

Add garlic and bell peppers. Fry until soft then add the mushrooms.
Add the chicken to the mixture and the fajita sauce. Cook for another further 10 minutes.

Serve with guacamole, cheese, salsa and sour cream.
I place all of these on the table, along with the corn tortillas and we make our own fajitas at the table.

I love them!

10 comments:

  1. Great idea to marinate it in Piri-Piri! I think I'll steal that and use it next time I make fajitas. ;)

    // Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, I have to go out and look for that piri piri sauce - sounds delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I love pir piri but only had in Nandos probably not very authentic !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The spicy Piri-piri marinade sounds excellent - great twist on the chicken fajitas, delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have to say I didnt use piri piri sauce, like the one you get in Nandos Chow but the powder I bought in Portugal. I'm sure the powder can be bought here in major supermarkets as well. As for Nandos they are pretty good but like all Foreign restaurants abroad, they tone the flavour down a touch. What I like about the piri piri in this, is that you can usually only taste the spiciness of the cumin in fajitas but the piri piri adds that smoky flavour too! And there's nothing like chicken and piri piri!Thank you for all the comments, folks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look fabulous, Ive never heard of pir piri, Ill have to scour for it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, these beauties sound so tempting. I love the addition of piri piri

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a nice change to the traditional fajita. I love smoky flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know the piri-piri part! Tell me! It sounds as if it adds some pizzazz to a grand dish. I love fajitas and would love a new way to jazz them up. This looks so welcoming.

    ReplyDelete