Tuesday, 28 July 2009

Chicken, children, blogging and Who cares?

Ok, first things first-Recipe!
This is a Portuguese inspired recipe for chicken goujons! My son loves chicken nuggets! They are very popular with children in the UK but I dont trust the ones you buy frozen in the supermarket so I make my own.



The Portuguese touch comes from the marinade. The chicken pieces are marinated in wine and garlic overnight-a Portuguese tradition-which gives them a unique flavour.

Ok so food out of the way-well it never is quite out of the way lol- 'Blogging and Who cares?'

I came across this interesting post on Gourmet Worrier's blog.
She talks about a friend she meets after many years all due to her blog. She discusses measuring her blog's success through ratings, comments, etc, only to realise, through this friend, that what really matters is that you've touched someone's heart.

This touched me very deeply!
I am going through an incredibly hard time in my life. I feel very isolated, mainly through my own doing, because sometimes in life, its hard to reach out when you're in so much pain and you feel nobody really cares.
And yet...

I had decided to give up blogging, well, simply because I had decided to pretty much give up everything, but I was drawn to post yet another recipe!
And suddenly I realise that yes, people do care.
It's something special to realise that out there in the world, someone took five minutes of their busy life to read what I wrote! That there is someone who cares enough...

I measure the success of my blog by knowing somehow, somewhere, someone does care...
But enough of the ranting and soppiness and on with the cooking!

CHICKEN GOUJONS WITH HOMEMADE RATATOUILLE


Ingredients:
2 Chicken breasts
2 cloves of garlic
1 cup of white wine
1 tsp of paprika
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper
1 cup of flour
1 cup of breadcrumbs
2 eggs

Ratatouille-Veg all chopped
1 large courgette or zucchini
1 aubergine
1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
1 can of tomatoes
1 large onion
1 large clove of garlic
1 bay leaf
mixed herbs
some fresh basil


Directions:

Season the chicken and add garlic, paprika, white wine and bay leaves. Marinade overnight. Remove chicken and slice into goujons.
Pre-heat the oven at gas mark 200 Celsius.
Pat dry chicken goujons. Place them in the flour, egg and breadcrumbs to create a batter.
Cook in the oven for 20-30 minutes.










In the meantime fry onion and garlic in good quality olive oil. Add courgette, aubergine and red peppers. Cook until tender.
Add tomatoes, bay leaves and herbs.
Cook for another ten minutes.
Season and Add basil. Cook for another five minutes.

Serve with the Chicken goujons and some couscous if you like.

20 comments:

  1. Honest words Ruth, really do have the ability to act as a bridge, so that people are able to connect and are thus able to support each other on this often turbulent journey called life.

    Pleased to meet you Ruth, my name is Nanette :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the few recipes my boyfriend can make from scratch is chicken goujons, as his mum used to make them for him when he was little. So it's not only your blog that is affecting people :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. The stars must not be aligned??? So many of us are struggling. And many of us are connecting. Do whatever you need to do and go where your heart is. The recipe is lovely. The honesty of the blog is lovelier still.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we love ya keep your head up girl and I adore your cooking you are so good at it would be a shame not to share your talent
    would you be willing to write a guest post for me with your favourite Portuguese meal and the top things about the cuisine?
    email me rebeccasubbiah at yahoo dot com love
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blogging is definitely a great outlet for all of us and it's wonderful to be able to share our experiences and recipes.

    We loved chicken goujons when we were in Ireland and I love your recipe - the marinade sounds excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hang in there! We all get to those all time lows and somehow are able to pull out of it - just takes time. So wallow away - we all need to at times!
    Ps - this recipe looks great and congrats on yesterdays top 9!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aaaw, Ruth, I'm sorry to hear that times are tough. I agree that that Gourmet Worrier blog is so moving and a real insight into the good things that blogging can do.
    And I'm so glad you've decided not to give up - we'd miss you. And this amazing looking recipe is just ONE of the reasons why! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree. My blog began not long after I was emerging from a low time in my life, and it's such a great way to connect, focus, and touch others' lives. I'm glad you decided to post again. We're a food blogging family - we gotta all stick together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you've always got friends in the bloggy world. hope you feel better soon. keep blogging - it helps.

    the chicken looks majorly yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ruth, you've brought tears to my eyes! I just read the Gourmetworriers post and yours and do agree that what really matters are the people you meet and how you can impact someones life. Thanks for the reminder :)

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look delicious! Please keep blogging. We would all miss you if you didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad that you don't give up! And I love to read your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, look at all these wonderful comments! It makes it all so worth it! Thank God for good food, good people and bring on the blogging!!!! Thank you so much xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ruth - Never think for a minute that no one cares. You were one of the first people to leave a comment on my blog when I first started it and you'll never know how much that thrilled me!! Now, I'm returning that favor to you. I visit your blog quite often and your recipes are always inspiring and look delicious.

    Keep your chin up! Life always has a way of working out for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw Lana, you brought a little tear to my eyes! I love your blog! I love reading it, following it and find it very comforting! So nice to know I made a difference, somehow! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Ruth ! Thanks for sharing this lovely recipe with us.
    Sometimes life can be tough and when we look around,we may not find someone close that seems to care. But be strong and focus on what is importannt in life and what makes you happy. Change what needs to be changed and if you need, look for help. It can be a friend, a psychologist, or just pray.
    I am also going through a hard time and sometimes it is difficult to find strength and face the world, try to focus in one thing at a time and enjoy every little simple thing that cross your day and bring you light: a smile, sunshine, a beautiful flower...
    God bless you.
    And as a brazilian, you can be sure I will be back here to check your recipes !
    Eliane

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thats a lovely comment Elaine! I agree with what you say. ' And this too shall pass'. Hope it does for you very soon!
    I also feel privileged to have a Brazilian following my blog! Food in your country is just to die for and very quickly influencing Portuguese cuisine!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ruth,
    You rock! I love this recipe! It is perfect for my babies.
    Thank you for your amazing food and personality.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Ruth, your blog has made a great impact on a lot of people in a relatively short amount of time which to me says so much. We're not just coming back here because of the lovely recipes, although there is certainly something to be said about that, but also because of the bit of "you" that you put in each post. Thank you so much for sharing.

    I am so sorry to hear that times are difficult, but you have to believe that this period will only make the next part so much sweeter. Keep the faith and know you have a true virtual support network.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Keep up the blogging. It's a release, just like cooking is for you. Those are good things. And so is that chicken. :)

    ReplyDelete