Saturday, 25 July 2009

Poor FisherWoman's Stew-Homemade Seafood Stew

The very first recipe I published here was of one of my favourite dishes- Caldeirada or Seafood Stew. This is, however and, very much unfortunately, a fairly expensive dish.

I was fortunate enough to have discovered a local Fishmonger's a while ago. These are a true dying breed in the UK as the Brits are not huge fish lovers and tend to purchase their fish in the larger chain supermarkets.
I find the selection of fish in these huge places is so limited and I was thrilled to find my fishmongers.
And even more thrilled to discover it was cheaper! I bought a selection of cod, salmon, prawns and squid and it all came to £6.


I bought some shelled whole prawns as well which I used to make the stock for the stew.

The result was an explosion of sweet and spicy flavours which truly complemented and enhanced the flavours of the seafood!
Yep, I love Flavour, me! :)
Enjoy!

Ingredients

A selection of seafood of your choice
A good amount of cooked shelled prawns
1 large chopped onion
1 large chopped carrot
2 celery sticks chopped
1 green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 cups of white wine
3 bay leaves
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste
basil or parsley to garnish


Directions


1-De shell the prawns and place the shells in a pot with water and a bay leaf. Season, bring to boil and let it simmer for 1 1/2 hours.














2-Fry the onions, carrots and celery. Add peppers.

3-Add the wine and let it simmer until reduced.

4-Add chopped tomatoes and strained prawn stock.

5-Add spices, bay leaves, seasoning and let it simmer for about 30 minutes.







6-Add fish and cook for 7 minutes.



7-Add seafood and cook for another 5 minutes or until done.

8- Serve with some fresh bread and basil or parsley garnish.








Hearty Seafood Stew on Foodista

16 comments:

  1. Welcome back! This looks delicious and I love that you made your own stock with the prawn shells.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks great hope you ok your great keep ya head up Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you back and I know about "life." If often needs to be attended to! This is a grand recipe and well worth the wait! So summery and fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back, I hope things are looking up for you. This stew looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope all is getting back to normal, life can get really crazy sometimes.

    This stew sounds stewpendous (sorry, could not resist) Nice and hearty and a perfect dish for a SF summer evening, I am going to have to collect the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy to see you back!! I've been thinking about you :) This seafood stew looks great Rebecca! Can't wait for your next post ;)

    diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was wondering about you! Hope everything is OK, and the stew looks very good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the messages! Really is very sweet of you. Time to do some catching up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad to see you back! Also missed you on Twitter. The stew looks so good. Reminds me of some of the cajun/creole fish stews we have in and around New Orleans.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with you about the state of seafood in the UK - too much is bought platic wrapped at supermarkets, too little at a proper fishmongers.

    You're lucky if you've found a good local one. I try to trek into Leeds every few weeks to the wonderful fish stalls on the market to stock up. On the last trip, I came back with mackeral and mussells.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, really? Whereabouts in Leeds? Im in Cleveland and would very very happily treck into leeds for Mussels-Local fishmongers doesnt stock them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nothing better than going back to the kitchen and start cooking to feel better. Great recipe, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this recipe! May end of being dinner tonight, I have some shrimp stock in the freezer I need to use. Thanks for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You couldnt be more right mathildescuisine!

    Oh, you got me excited now Chef Sari. Hope you do try it! Dont know of anyone who's tried my recipes yet lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohhh man that looks good. I've never made seafood stew, and not a lot of people serve it here in Houston.. but they should! It looks delicious. And what a great way to make the stock. Love it.
    -Sylvia
    Ananta Watches

    ReplyDelete
  16. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I think I will leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
    By : http://www.factspenisenlargement.com

    ReplyDelete