Wednesday, 9 September 2009

Portuguese Fish and Chips-Bacalhau a Bras

WELL... it's been a busy week and I've been neglecting, not only my own blog but also the ones I follow! I do apologise, folks!

I wanted to make it up to you and take you on another nice foodie trip.

This one is to a very special place in Portugal called Carcavelos

 but more precisely, to one of the most delicious places I have ever been to, my step-mums kitchen!

She's Portuguese through and through and, oh boy, can she cook!
I am in total awe, I am so unworthy, lol. So I threw all of any dignity I may have out of the window, and begged her over and over again to cook my favourite dish: Salted cod wrapped in french fries and scrambled egg-Bacalhau a Bras!

Before we go onto the recipe, let me tell you that Portuguese people love to eat and they love to nibble. I would like to give you some samples of what they, and I, have nibbled on before the main meal.

There is the obligatory cheese, prosciutto and olives:With yummy fresh bread:A selection of different types of Chorizo:Prawns in Garlic butter:
These are called tremocos but not sure what they may be in English-suggestions are welcomed-only ever saw them in Portugal:Oh and, ahem, these:But on to the main course. I love this!! Its yummy, its addictive and truly amazing! If you can get your hands on some salted cod, please, please try this.
And if you can't, try it anyway with fresh cod, just add more salt.
I know I will! Getting cravings already lol!

Bacalhau a Bras

Ingredients

1 pound dried salt cod
7 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, cut into matchstick-size strips (about 6 cups)
1 large onion, thinly sliced
8 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
some green or black olives
Directions:
1. Rinse the fish and place it in a bowl. Add enough cold water to cover. Chill overnight, changing the water several times.
2. The next day, drain the fish and transfer to a large saucepan. Cover with water, bring to a boil, and simmer until the fish flakes easily, about 15 minutes.Drain and cool. Flake the fish, discarding any bones.
3. Heat 4 tablespoons of the oil in a heavy, large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the potatoes in batches and sauté until crisp and golden, about 7 minutes per batch. Transfer the potatoes to paper towels to drain.
4. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil to the same skillet. Add the onion and and sauté until golden, about 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to low. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the onion slices in the skillet.
5.Mix in the fish


and potatoes. 6.Whisk the eggs, the 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl to blend.

7.Add the egg mixture the skillet.

8.Cook over medium heat until the eggs are softly set, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Transfer onto a platter.

9.Garnish with the olives and the parsley.And serve with some salad

Warning: Due to the addictive nature of this dish you may find yourself doing this when you finish your meal! lolBom Proveito!

35 comments:

  1. Ruth - this dish looks incredible, I'd be lucky to make it to the couch =)

    I must try this one and soon! What a great dish and I cannot wait to give it a try. Thanks for showing and tempting me. Hope all is well with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treat of a post! The journey, the sights, the meal the couch. perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this delicious virtual tour and this fish & potatoes sound excellent, wonderful preparation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum!! I found salted cod here in town!! I'm going to get it especially for this recipe. I'll let you know how it turns out, from the looks of that last picture, I'm sure it will be fantastic! Also.. tremocos... We have those in Spain!!! My abuela has gotten them, and I've eaten them but no idea what they are, lol!!! I'm going to ask my mami! Love your posts, they alway's bring me back to Spain ;) oh... and the caracoles...Buen Provecho Hija!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First stop for me here.. Fabulous food and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that looks amazing. Not to mention the cheese, chorizo, prawns, etc. I feel I need to get myself to Portugal as soon as humanly possible!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks delicious. Am off to hunt for salted cod.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious, and what a cute picture of your passed out family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have an apartment in Carcavelos, so I know the food (my husband is Portuguese)...Bacalhau a Bras is also one of my favorites! We picked up salted cod in Florida, and also Rhode Island (big Portuguese communities there....) Thanks for the great recipe, and reminding me that I need to cook it this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, i can feel portugal knocking on my doorstep. looks just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG, you're killing me with all those gorgeous looking food!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I went to Portugal for the first time not too long ago and didn't get a chance to have salted cod :((
    I did however have sardines...and prawns, and cataplana (seafood stew), and of course portuguese chicken. The food there is seriously good!! And I am ultimately sad I did not have salted cod. Your dish sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds delicious. I've never seen tremocos before, does it have the same texture as chickpeas?

    Aww, love the last pic? Isn't it so rewarding? He enjoyed the meal and got a good nap! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. aww. lovely post. your little boy is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am in awe. What grand fish and potatoes - not sure I would have made it that far given all the appetizers... wow. And love the ending photo. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i want to eat this food.......

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice recipe and made very traditionally, good post and images...Unfortunately I still need some olive oil to make my bacalhau a braz lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Ruth ! Just looove bacalhau !!! Unfortunately in my little city in US it is impossible to find dry cod... and fresh cod is not the same thing, the texture is completely different. At least on my last trip to Brazil, my family made some bacalhau with cooked potatoes and sweet potatos, bell pepper, olives and onions ! Yummy ! Isn't just aweasome to cook with the ones you love ?
    Please, get some bolinhos de bacalhau for me too ! And pastel de nata !
    Eliane

    ReplyDelete
  19. Portuguese cuisine is one of my favourites! I'd go to Macao to get some nice Portuguese food whenever I crave some. I'd love to try those snails, hehehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, looking at those pictures was like being at a family party. My father is portuguese, his parents immigrated to the US before he was born. Bacalhau is a staple at family get together. We live in Fall River Massachusetts where there is a HUGE Portuguese population, we've always jokingly called it Little Portugal, so salted cod is in abundance . Also the tremocos, we also know them as lupine beans.

    ReplyDelete
  21. my husband is portuguese. I worked at a cafe' in rhode island called acores. Thats how i became acustom to all the different foods. I live it moved too florida can't get it down here. I can buy salted cod and make my own recipes. I make a few. But no portuguese vienna breads.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Tremocos - are lupini beans that have been cured in salt (almost like a pickled bean). It is eaten as a snack - similar to a pretzel at local bars or at the fair and it is eaten in Portugal, Spain and Italy. Hope that helps

    ReplyDelete
  23. Vert cool to see this so very fantastic recipe posted here. I do love it. I also love the same but with chicken breast..

    Indeed Tremoços are Lupini beans. FOr anyone who is looking for portuguese goods here in the States yet does not live near a Portuguese community as myself (here in WI) check out www.portuguesefood.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well, that food really looks great, I need more practice in my home to make it. That gay said something greedy, about the salt... So do I, with peppers and onion.

    ReplyDelete
  25. People from different places are traveling to Brazil just to see the game that is very popular all over the world and that is what they call soccer, and if you plan on going and don't have a place to stay yet, well here's the right spot.



    Hostels in Itacare

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's a good salad, to many bloggers are talking about, specially they're happy because this blog is one of the best in the blogsphere. by the way, in cultivation, Garden Parsley is subdivided into several cultivar groups[6] depending on the form of the plant, which is related to its end use. These are often treated as botanical varieties. 23jj

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello,
    This is an informative blog post. Thanks a lot for the share.... Keep posting such an awesome blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nice energy and vibe you put out there. You have so much to offer, I like the energy and the nice values you apply to your site. Real interesting and outstanding point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  29. all designs are amazing ,its create new ideas thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, really wonderful it is. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great information, you have a wonderful blog and an excellent article!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for this article. It's just what I was searching for. I am always interested in this subject.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This happens to be one of my favourite Portuguese dishes. My husband, Jorge comes from the Algarve and I have had the opportunity to tour all over Portugal. We try to get back every other year. I absolutely love all Portuguese food. Over the years, I have mastered many of the dishes.

    Further, since I am from England myself, I also enjoy all British food. I have many favourites but I look forward to trying some of your recipes.
    I know that I am going to really enjoy following your blog.

    Muitos Beijinhos.

    ReplyDelete