Sunday, 7 March 2010

Pasta with Italian Sausage and Garden Peas

There is something about sausage and peas that just makes me want to eat it.
Take a nice good quality savoury pork sausage and pair it up with some gorgeous sweet peas...what could possibly go wrong??



But in Modena, they take it one step further. They love their sausages. With a passion that extends to a careful analysis of the herbs and spices that need to go just with the right level of meat smokiness.

They have these nice likkle handy packages of sausage meat that you can use, saving on all the messy work of trying to squeeze the pork mince out of its cases.
I hope you try this recipe with any sausage meat!
Seriously, as I said before you can't go wrong. The contrast of flavours is so satisfying!!

My only piece of serious advice is to think carefully about your pasta shape.
One thing I have learned, since living here is that your pasta is just as important as your sauce.

It should be able to hold the sauce and absorb it.
Meaty sauces such as this or even your ragu bolognese should not be served with a slippery thin pasta like spaghetti!
Never serve ragu bolognese with spaghetti. Always with taglietelle. Make sure your pasta can hold the sauce.

Ok, lecture over...sorry, but I really did have this drummed into me and believe you me, it really makes a difference.

This was the pasta of my choice and it held the sauce really well, but you can use any shape provided it's wide enough to hold the sauce.
 So, there you go, flavourful and not too heavy! Enjoy!!

Pasta with Italian Sausage and Garden Peas
Ingredients

Pasta  of your choice
250gs of Smoked Pancetta  or Smoked Streaky Bacon
1 finely chopped carrot
1 finely chopped celery stalk
1 finely chopped large onion
2 large cloves of gralic, chopped
1 cup of milk
1 bay leaf
1 tsp of tomato paste
1 tsp of sugar
1 cup of white wine
1 cup of chicken stock
1 generous portion of frozen garden peas
500 gs or plus of sausage meat
Olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Method
  
Boil some water in a large pot for your pasta. Make sure it's well salted.

Fry your pancetta in some good quality olive oil.
Add your carrot, celery, onion and garlic and fry on a low heat for 5 minutes or until clear.
Add the sausage meat when the sausage meat and mince it really well! I used my masher!!
Add your milk and simmer on a low heat for 20 minutes or at least until the milk has completely evapourated, This will tenderise the meat.
At this point, your pasta water should be ready. Add the pasta to the water and remove it 2 minutes before its cooking time. Reserve some of the pasta water aside.
Add your bay leaf, sugar and tomato paste to your sauce and stir it in well. Taste for seasoning.
 
 Add the white wine, stock and peas. Cook on a high heat for a further 6 mins or until all the liquid has reduced down.
Drain  your pasta and add it to the sauce along with the pasta water. The pasta will continue to cook and absorb the sauce. Pasta tends to swell 30 per cent of its size within the last couple of cooking minutes it makes all the difference!

So there you go, truly a flavourful dish!!

16 comments:

  1. I love this Ruth - the sausage and the peas, the stock and the wine, the careful attention to the pasta shape. Yes, I will listen to you and make this - and make my family very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magnificent! Another one for my Comfort Food page Ruth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmmmmm my boys are absolutely going to love this looks fabulous~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing the recipe of Pasta with Italian Sausage and Garden Peas. Will give it a try and see if it really works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love darn near all flavors of sausage, but I like pea pods better than peas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh me too, I share your sentiments this looks like such a yummy sounding recipe. Cannot wait to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow another great recipe oh I want those sausages!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely adore pasta and peas! I hope I wouldn't be run out of Modena for saying this, but I would follow this to the letter except I'd do veggie sausage and broth. I won't tell if you don't! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds fantastic! I love the shape of this pasta and so delicious with the sausages and peas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks wonderful!I love this kind of dishes. Perfect comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the tip about milk tenderizing the meat. I had not heard of this technique before.

    Since you're using homegrown peas, come show off your dish in our "Grow Your Own" roundup this month. To participate, find the details here:

    http://chezannies.blogspot.com/2010/03/announcing-grow-your-own-40.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks wonderful. This is a first visit for me, so I spent some time reading your old posts. You have a lovely blog. I'll be back often to see what you've been cookin'. Have a great day...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much everyone for popping by!! It was a winner with everyone.

    Nate, Im afraid I dont grown my own, I wished I did. I visited your blog though!! So glad to have found it!!
    Thank you Mary, so glad you like it! Its always reassuring to hear it and to see fresh faces!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent post Ruth! I've been visiting the blog and I think you're doing an important contribution, specially if we're learning special recipes... this blog is a good help! by the way, you should try with the Asia food as your next post. For many traditional Cantonese cooks, the flavors of a finished dish should be well balanced, and never greasy. Also, spices should be used in modest amounts to avoid overwhelming the flavors of the primary ingredients, and these primary ingredients in turn should be at the peak of their freshness and quality. 23jj

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's one of my favorites dishes. My mom always made the same recipe. Whole grain pasta is tasty healthy pasta. Made from the whole grain or kernel instead of refined flour, this pasta has more fiber and complex carbohydrates than traditional pasta and this is the nicest part about it.

    ReplyDelete