Wednesday, 31 March 2010

Simple Tender Calamari and What are your Addictions?

 A quick midweek post that comes as a confession.
I LOVE Calamari (deep fried squid rings)!
They are my downfall! Could eat them all day non-stop.



Some people are chocoholics, some people are addicted to crisps, cheese, nuts, you name it!
For me it's Calamari!

And to top it all, I am in a country where good quality squid is readily available at a reasonable price AND the squid rings are already sliced for you.
Saying that, I can't stand the frozen battered ones.
I am very fussy with my batter. It has to have a hint of garlic and be extra crispy.

And for those of you out there who think calamari is far too chewy or stringy, let me tell you, you have been served the wrong stuff!

I discovered the secret for perfect, tender calamari from a Roman friend.
Simply marinate the squid in milk for 2 to 3 hours before battering them!

So here's my midweek confession that I had to share, simply because, although I made these on Saturday, I am already craving them again!!!

So tell me what is your food downfall/addictions?
Simple Tender Calamari
Ingredients

Squid/Calamari rings (as many as you want, depending on how many your serving)-if you buy the squid, clean it by removing the insides and the bone and cut them into rings. You could also use the tentacles
Milk
Semolina flour
Plain flour
Breadcrumbs
Garlic powder
Salt and pepper to season
Olive  Oil
Lemon wedges to serve

Method
Place the squid rings in a bowl and cover them well with the milk.
Place in the fridge for 2 to 3 hours.
 Remove the squid from the fridge 5 to 10 minutes prior to cooking.

Place equal measures of semolina flour, bread crumbs and plain flour in a large bowl.
Add garlic powder to taste and season well with salt and pepper.
 Heat the oil in a pan to optimum frying temperature, as you would with chips/french fries.
Dip the rings straight from the milk into your flour mix, shake well and place in the hot frying pan.
Avoid overcrowding the pan or the temperature of the oil will go down.
Fry for 2 minutes or until the batter has turned golden, not brown.

Remove and place on some kitchen paper and serve hot with lemon wedges.

Drooling already!! Really hope you try these!

Just had to see it again, one last time!!
Fried Calamari on Foodista

14 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny, sometimes the tastiest things are so simple to just make at home! Thanks for the reminder- looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never tried them, but you make my mouth water for them anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love love love calamari delicious looking !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Calamari is so yummy! I got to have some over the weekend and they were so good. Yours look great, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've discovered one of my addictions when you posted this on calamri - I love them and like you could eat them all day, what a lovely simple recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're lucky to get such fresh calamri. In the midwest, we have to settle for the frozen ones. At least I found them cleaned already. I cleaned a box of them once and will never do it again. -Tien :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm, I love perfectly cooked calamari! Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this dish and the calamari that comes my way in MN is too big and old and chewy. I crave the tender ones. And I don't need it over-battered. You make it perfectly! Buona Pasqua!

    ReplyDelete
  9. In one simple word,Its look so delicious, I've never eat it but I think that it is so delicious because the recipe is so cool!22dd
    the calamari can be a great dish to make a nice dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love the onion rings, specially with those condiments. I will do my best to improve the calamari dish. Thanks for the information on this blog! I find it very interesting and entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i am going to try that milk soaking method and fry up some calamari for tonights dinner! =) thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sure looks delicious, another appetizer for this Sunday NFL games, thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I followed your recipe for my husbands bday dinner tonight and it turned out great! Thanks very much :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. A family member referred me to your resource. Thnx for the information.
    Feel free to surf my homepage :: port phillip bay fishing charters

    ReplyDelete