Thursday, 4 March 2010

Winter Roasted Vegetables Lasagna

I am always paranoid about vegetables. Ok, let me rephrase that, I am always paranoid about not eating enough vegetables.
Or rather, I am always paranoid about ALEX not eating enough vegetables!



I know he gets them at school. In fact he gets better meals at school here than I could ever provide him with, but I always worry that he may not be eating enough vegetables there so I try to come up with different ways of getting him to have some at home.

So how to make vegetables interesting.
In the land where ragu and pork are kings, it's not easy to find good vegetable recipes.

So I got my brain in gear and thought of Alex's all time favourite meal: Lasagna.

Tweak the recipe a little bit here, add some pancetta for flavour there, roast some veggies in loads of yummy herbs et voila!!

I was surprised at how delicious it actually was but I have to admit that the pancetta really added a whole new depth to it!!

Hope you try it!
Winter Roasted Vegetables Lasagna

Ingredients

Olive oil
6 whole cloves of garlic
250gs of smoked pancetta or smoked streaky bacon, chopped
1 medium red pepper and 1 medium yellow pepper
4 shallots
2 courgettes
1 small aubergine
2 tsps of dried rosemary
2 tsps of dried basil
Salt and pepper to taste

Method

Pre heat the oven on your maximum heat setting.

In a pan, add a generous amount of good extra virgin oilve oil and add 3 cloves of garlic.
Set on a medium heat and allow the garlic to fry gently for 3 minutes.

Pour some oil into an oven tray and heat it up in the oven until piping hot.

Once hot, removed from the oven and add pancetta and the remaining 3 cloves of garlic.
 
Roast in the oven until crispy.
In the meantime, pour some tomato passata or crushed tomatoes into your pan (where you have been gently frying the garlic) .
 
 When the pancetta is nice and crispy, layer your vegetables onto the tray and sprinkle your herbs and sesoning over each layer as well as a drizzle of olive oil.
Like so...
And like so...
 
Then stir them all together, including the pancetta.
Roast in the oven for about 30 minutes or until soft.
 
Remove from the oven and add them to the tomato sauce that you have been simmering gently on the cooker in the meantime.
 
Add some freshly grated parmesan and check for seasoning. Also remember to remove the cloves of garlic.
Place a a very thin layer of the sauce in your lasagna dish, then layer with the lasagna pasta sheets, a layer of the vegetable sauce, a layer of bechamel sauce (I had some already prepared but you can find the recipe here) and some parmesan cheese. 
Repeat until you have filled your Lasagna dish.
Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, and, hey presto!!

Lasagna Pan on Foodista

16 comments:

  1. oh my goodness this is simpy out of this world looking awesome~ love the cheese and the recipe mouth watering~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! I look forward to making it, but in the meantime it has inspired me for what to do with the vegetables I have ready to use today. I am going to invent a lasagna! Thanks Ruth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love adding vegetables to lasagna. Bookmarking this - you use so many and I just want to rap myself around the dish and dig in. I'll bet Alex was pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! Just found your blog and I absolutely adore it! I will most def be following.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like vegetables- as long as someone puts cheese on them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great lasagna now I think your good on your veggies love ya

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ruth, Thank you for being such a great friend! I really appreciate your comments and just being there! So glad to have me you!

    What a yummy lasagna!! One thing I do is to actually puree vegetables and add them to my tomato sauce for an extra way to add vegetables. I also like to serve salads with the meals! I don't even know why I'm writing this as your meals are phenomenal and so good for you!!! All the seafood your son must eat is beyond healthy!! I only wish I could give more seafood to my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the addition of all the delicious veggies in your lasagna, looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for all the lovely comments. One thing I do try to teach Alex as much as I can is where food comes from and what is nutrition is about. I dont know if i am doing a good or bad job but somehow he finds eating fish and vegetables exciting lol Getting all your support just makes me feel I am doing the right thing and for that I am eternally grateful!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sure you are doing a fantastic job with Alex - he's lucky to have such a thoughtful Mom. Oh yeah - and you can cook too! Awesome. The roasted veggies here look incredible; I can't imagine a kid who wouldn't want to eat their veggies when they're presented like this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great recipe! This looks so good! I've been trying to eat more vegetables and less meat so this recipe is perfect. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is an amazing recipe, the contrasts in the ingredients and flavor that is ... delicious ... thanks for sharing the pictures step by step with us, it was much easier for me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've got a book called "The best recipes" and I've learned something important about this delicious dish: is one of the typical cuisine of Italy, many regional variations exist, also we can talk about Greek versions. In some areas, especially in the southern regions of Italy, the sauce is likely to be a simple tomato sauce or a ragù, whereas in other areas, particularly in Northern Italy. 23jj

    ReplyDelete
  15. Its really a great post. Keep posting.

    ReplyDelete