Saturday, 24 April 2010

Sweet Paprika Seafood Stew and my First Anniversary

 Ladies and Gents, 'I love Flavour, me!' is officially ONE year old!

And what a year it has been too, so many changes, so many adventures!!!



To celebrate this event I would like to do two things.
First, to Thank all of you who took the time and patience, to visit, read, comment or simply pop in from time to time. I can't begin to tell you how much that has meant to me!!

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!  MUITO OBRIGADO!!!  GRAZIE MILLE!!!

Second of all, I would like to talk about the dish that inspired me to start a blog: Portuguese Fish Stew or better known as Caldeirada.
This dish is for me what Julia Child's Beef Borgouignon is for many!
My temptation, my craving, my indulgence, my luxury!!

Exactly one year ago, I was sat in my house in England, browsing through recipes and craving Caldeirada more than anything else.
I terribly missed Portuguese food and so wished to recreate it at home.
Only problem was, living in the UK it proved quite difficult to find similar ingredients. So what to do?

And this is how the idea of the blog came to be.
After reading many blogs I thought of writing one that combined delicious Mediterreanean (mainly Portuguese) flavours with British Recipes.

As the blog developed, I found that it went way beyond that.
It became a journey of self-discovery, of finding that bit by bit, by experimenting here and failing there, I could actually cook.

And trust me my friends, that was a major discovery!
I always saw myself as a great  food lover but never ever, as someone who could cook.

So here I am, one year down the line, sitting in a warm Italian flat, and with your help, wonderful support and encouragement, feeling so humbly proud of 'I love flavour, me!'.

Once again, thank you for helping me grow and trust in myself but...most of all... thank you for believing in me!!!

But enough of soppiness, what better way to celebrate than by recreating Caleirada in an Italian kitchen and savouring it with the utmost pleasure!

Try it, trust me, you will get hooked like me! Hope you love the flavour too!!!

 Sweet Paprika Seafood Stew
Ingredients

Extra Virgin Olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 large chopped onion
2 finely chopped cloves of garlic
2 to 3 teaspoons of Sweet Paprika, depending on taste
1 medium Yellow Pepper, Sliced
1 medium Red Pepper, Sliced
1 large cup of good quality White Wine
1 large cup of Passata or Chopped tomatoes
1 cup of Fish Stock
A selection of seafood of your choice, I used raw large Prawn Tails, Cod, Salmon, Squid Rings and Mussels but any Seafood will work
Lots of chopped Parsley

Method

Get a selection of top quality seafood from your fishmonger's or market, something like this...
And this...
And finally this...
Fry your chopped onion until translucent in the olive oil, add your garlic and fry for another 1 to 2 minutes on a low heat.
Add your sweet paprika. Trust me, the more the better, I added 3 teaspoons and a bit after, it just gives it such a wonderful taste. Fry for one minute.
Add your slice peppers and gently fry until slightly soft.
Pour in your wine and allow it to reduce but not disappear altogether as it adds a touch of sweetness to the stew.
 Add your passata or tomatoes, your fish stock and season to taste.
Leave it to simmer for 30 minutes, then add your fish and cook for 5 minutes.
Add your squid and prawns and cook for another 5 minutes.
Then your mussels. Cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes until they are fully opened.
Sprinkle with your parsley and serve with warm crusty bread!

Enjoy and thanks so much for popping in!!!

Brazilian Seafood Stew on Foodista

20 comments:

  1. Oh my first Congrats on your anniversary...so glad to have the pleasure of your friendship and your blog is awesome~ I absolutely love this dish, and the seafood is just perfect, you really took some awesome mouth watering shots. I just love those shrimps! A wonderful blogger, and perfect anniversary post full of fabulous flavors!.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! A fitting dish to celebrate, looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I adore seafood! That looks so wonderful. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you kidding me, this blog is only 1 year old? All the joy and experiences, and discovery I'd have with this blog makes it feel much older (maybe in blog years) I've loved learning and exploring through your posts, its been a wonderful voyage of discovery and look forward to it for a long while.

    Speaking of discovery, this recipe of sweet paprika seafood stew sounds just amazing!

    Congrats on your 1 year anniversary - that is a milestone to be celebrated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, congratulations! You do indeed have a LOT to be proud of! This is a totally craveworthy dish, and the perfect thing to celebrate your blogoversay. I love how you layer the flavors, it must be absolutely incredible. I am so glad to have "met" you through food blogging, I truly am!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Ruth! What a wonderful year of blogging it has been - for me to enjoy!!!! And to get to know the lovely person you are!
    And what a beautiful, glorious dish you are celebrating with! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a beautiful dish...such great seafood, very well written and great photography..
    congrats on your first anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much everyone for the wonderful comments, not only do you spur me on but you truly bring a tear or two to my eyes xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since I've been visiting your site, I never doubted for a moment your ability to cook, and cook well! Congrats on anniversary- many more to come, I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Anniversary! And the stew looks amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on your first anniversary! What a beautiful seafood stew this is - one I would be quite happy to tuck into right now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy blog anniversary! I'm learning to cook myself and am enjoying the food blogs. This looks a little scary to attempt, but maybe soon...

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh wow, glad I have found you and your wonderful recipes, like this mouth-watering seafood stew, it looks loaded with goodness - Happy Anniversay

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Ruth! Congratulations on your anniversary and sure this seafood stew makes a great celebration for it...looks absolutely yummie. Love the pictures :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. happy birthday to your wonderful blog, your a fab cook and awesome person hope to meet you one day and enjoy some seafood stew nom nom

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Ruth,
    Congratulations on your 1st year! The stew looks FANTASTIC!!!I am drooling here ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on your first blogiversary and many more years to come! The stew looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy blog birthday! I am new here and simply love that seafood stew, all the way from the classy ingredients to the final dish! Wish I had a bowl right now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! This looks divine. Fabulous birthday meal, I'm sure! Happy *blog* Birthday!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ruth,
    Thanks for visiting weirdcombinations! We love Portuguese food. your recipes look great. I have a Brazilian background and we are fascinated by the Portuguese culinary there. I always thought that caldeirada was a Brazilian dish from the Caiçara indians that inhabited the coast along São Paulo and Rio. silly me ;)
    Great blog.
    Cheers,
    Abraços
    Heguiberto

    ReplyDelete