Saturday, 15 May 2010

Roast Chicken and Italian Herbs

 .Most of us have used Italian Herbs at some point, but it wasn't until I got a lovely Email from Saverio Lo Presti from Ariosto that I really began my journey into Italian herbs.



You see, he contacted me, asking if I had ever heard of Ariosto.
I had come accross these gorgeous little pots of Italian herbs in the supermarket but never really given them a second thought.
Never really stopped to consider what would be the best herb combination for a roast or a simple tomato sauce.
Still Salverio susrprised me with a wonderful email stating he had read my blog and could they please send me some samples.

My immediate reaction was of 'yes, please'. Shortly after, this cute little box arrived.
I opened the box to find these delights inside
With these
And these
Where to start? I decided to focus on the Meat Roast herb mix.
I used it on Steak
The result was delicious
And on Roast chicken.
As you can see from the post picture the result was pretty amazing.
I served it with Roman Peas, the recipe for which can be found here in Frank Fariello's wonderful blog,.
I replaced the Parma Ham with some smoked pancetta since that's what I had at the time.
I also used the tomato herb mix
on a creamy tuna tomato sauce
So my veredict on Italian herbs made from scratch and from Italy is that you so have to check this website and try them out.
They give sauces a whole new depth of flavour!

I will continue to experiment and keep you updated.
Thank you Salverio!!
Italian Herb Seasoning on Foodista

18 comments:

  1. You have been an awesome pleasure to read and visit...your recipes are fabulous, and this picture is awesome...all my congrats and looking forward to the next 100 posts :) xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Yummy chicken.
    Thank you for the inspiration.

    So long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth - what a fresh looking chicken. So succulent and tasty. I do keep an Italian herb garden - the basics. Cannot get the exotic ones here but I love this time of year when I can go to my patio and snip leaves for flavor! Keep these grand posts coming - with your wonderful flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yummy would be nice with my bread lol

    can you buy them outside of Italy ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That chicken skin looks so crispy and delicious, Ruth!I love Italian herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My herb and spice drawers in my kitchen holds about 30lbs. of goodness! I love to season food- it is the best way to bring out the flavors...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! I love the herbs and spices...love the idea of using in different combination...the chicken looks delicious...full of flavor :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you everyone for the lovely comments. Was worried the post was beginning to sound like an advertisement. Couldn/t make it a recipe as I literally seasoned the meat with the herbs and cooked it! Was enough in itself. Rebecca you can certainly order online just click on the word Ariosto! So worth it as they have such an amazing variety of combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You lucky girl! I LOVE using new spices, doesn't it just give everything new life? Fun post, I have to check these out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ruth - Counting down until post 100, and thanks for giving us this lovely recipe to try. I love playing with spice mixes and this one sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These seasoning mixes sound terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  12. herbs make a huge difference...wish I can find these in our local stores

    ReplyDelete
  13. everytime I open my spice cupboard I find new adventure - the hardest part is writing it down as I tend to forget which combinations I did .... these mixes sounds interesting, wonder if they are sold in the states...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for all the comments. Saverio has told me he will be contacting all of you interested in the herbs and sending you samples so keep those comments coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Ruth,
    OMGosh thanks for letting me know about these wonderful herbs and these receipes, are they available in the US as that is where I am from? Your pictures make my mouth water and now I want to make roast chicken and grill steak!!
    ♥ the blog and thanks for the invite!! Will keep reading for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's so nice to know about these herbs and spices. Your chicken looks wonderful. This is my first visit to your blog. I found you by chance and planned only to say hello and move on. I, instead, started reading your earlier posts and ended up staying far longer than I had intended. I like your recipes and enjoyed visiting your blog. I'll be back as often as often as I can. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. ahhhh I want that chicken! to the chicken my boys! seriously this is maybe the best recipe that I never seen before, the combination of that roast chicken with the Italian herbs sound like a pice of heaven

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like to eat chicken with pasta. It tastes really good specially when I am drinking wine. Those are my sunday lunch at home.

    ReplyDelete